Saturday, June 17, 2017

This Elementary School Level Galaxy Needs Our Support

So, this young galaxy is just beginning to learn to socialize with other galaxies, and needless to say the rest of the universe.  It's a bit shy and wonders if it will be accepted, especially by those other entities in it's local neighborhood.  The ones who point and snicker. It has a facebook account called WLM galaxy and lists its likes and interests as star formation, planetary nebula creation, LGBTQ star interaction, comprehensive immigration reform, climate science, open borders, and supernova free zones.
Its dislikes are large nearby predator galaxies, dark matter, gamma radiation, and the theory of relativity.  I don't think it's going to make it to spiral galaxy status.  I think it's going to be eaten alive by predator galaxies drifting by over the next 4 to 18 billion years.

Click the picture to go to the APOD site and click again to get higher resolution images. If you dare and care.


6 comments :

  1. PLANKTON - the small and microscopic organisms drifting or floating in the sea or fresh water, consisting chiefly of diatoms, protozoans, small crustaceans, and the eggs and larval stages of larger animals. Many animals are adapted to feed on plankton, especially by filtering the water.

    Gazing at these mysterious, provocative photos you provide from Outer Space, Kid, often makes me feel as though both WE and these HEAVENLY BODIES –– and all grades and shades of life in between –– amount to little more than PLANKTON floating in the vast Cosmic Sea.

    I get goose bumps thinking about it. Being humbled like that is not depressing at all –– at least to me. It only bolsters my belief that God really is "our refuge and strength –– a very present help in trouble" –– and the source of LOVE which makes all our joy and satisfaction possible.

    I never saw a moor;
    I never saw the sea,
    Yet know I how the heather looks
    And what a wave may be.

    I never spoke with God,
    Nor visited in heaven.
    Yet certain am I of the spot
    As if the chart were given.


    ~ Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

    I truly believe that ultimately "Science" will serve to prove once and for all that FAITH is JUSTIFIED.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FT, We are smaller than plankton that's for sure. I don't get depressed about that either. I'm happy to have such wonders to enjoy.

      I believe that science has already stated that "intelligent design" must be responsible for our existence.

      Delete
  2. I hope this galaxy isn't the victim of bullying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know DaBlade. She looks a bit frazzled. I'll check social media.

      Delete
  3. Hire this galaxy now!
    While it still knows everything.

    ReplyDelete