Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Best Wishes to the Atkins Family and Friends.

Leona Atkins, the 85-year-old widow of Chet Atkins died Wednesday (Oct. 21) at her home in Nashville. The soon-to-be-legendary guitar player met Leona Johnson in the mid-1940s when she was performing with her sister on the Boone County Jamboree at radio station WLW in Cincinnati. He married her in 1946. Chet Atkins was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1973 and died in 2001. Mrs. Atkins is survived by a daughter, Merle Atkins Russell.

From Here

Peace be With You.

I can't think of a better tribute:



Chet was and is known as Mister Guitar.

6 comments :

  1. That one cuts right to my heart. Thanks, kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know nearly enough of his work, and as one who plays a little, I should.

    Excellent choice, and my thoughts go out to the Atkins family as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soloman, there's a lot out on youtube, and there used to be a lot more.

    He described his musical tastes quite accurately as eclectic and you will find everything from Classical to Country to Jazz and most everything in between.

    Many consider him the best player just for his technical perfection and ability to play stuff no one else would even attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nickie, It was a sad moment when I read it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Dad loved Chet Atkins. I knew of him through my Dad. Thanks Kid!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too Gene. Most of the rockers of the 60's and 70's started out as huge Chet fans.

    George Harrison played a Gretsch guitar with the early Beatles because that was what Chet was playing.

    ReplyDelete