Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Orion, Always Interesting, From a Larger Perspective

Orions Belt are the 3 stars in the center of the image.  In fall it is easy to spot them in North America as they are the center section of an hourglass shaped collection of stars with the large stars forming the top and bottom of the hourglass.

Click the dude and read about it.  Certainly one of the most favorite sky targets of Earth bound star gazers with small telescopes.  The Horsehead Nebula is in there for example though you won't find it with this far away view.


6 comments :

  1. Those who think that Orion's Belt is just a big "waist" of space can't be Sirius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my father pointing out ORION to me on an August night when I was about five years old –– a wondrous event for a little kid. He pronounced it "O'Ryan." I've heard more scholarly types call it "Orry-un." I'm never sure which is correct.

    We lived very close to New York City, so I often went to Grand Central Station where the constellations are wonderfully reproduced in the ceiling of the largest part. It's still a beautiful sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FT, I've always pronounced it OhRyeun. I've heard it pronounced that way in movies also.

      Delete
    2. So you think it rhymes wih O'Brien?

      That's what my dad said, so it's all right with me. ;-)

      Orry-un sounds too much like a cookie manufacturer.anyway.

      Delete