Saturday, November 27, 2010

Stories That Make Men Weep

.

As properly noted by one of the commentors at the bottom of this story. Blackfive had a similar story recently, but I'm afraid it was Whimpy Whombley and Whambley.

Notable, but not the kind of thing to put a lump in your throat and allow you to scream "I am America and We Are The Best !",  even though you, like I, had not a thing to do with the design or development of Kelly Johnson's SR-71 Blackbird.

Kelly Johnson also created the  feared P-38 Lightning of WWII and the F-104 Starfighter (dubbed The Man in the Missile), two of my most favorite fighters that hung from my bedroom ceiling in plastic form, as a pre-teenager.

Forget politics and economic systems; This is the excellence that is the spirit of America that is in the genes of people who came here on boats and carved out the greatest country on Earth, the founders of which gave their lives and those of their families in many cases to do so.  Before I get pissed off and go into some political rant, I'll stop here and just suggest your read The Thrill of Flying the SR-71 Blackbird

Embedded in the story is This Link to a shorter story of its prototype, also worth the read of you are an admirer of aircraft.
.
.

10 comments :

  1. I e-mailed you a pic of this I think. If not I will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you Did They Say. I have a bunch.

    I'd like to do another one of these on the X-15, the experimental rocket plane that was actually the test bed for the space shuttle re-entry and landing. Lots of pics, but I haven't run across any pilot narratives. Then again, the pilot experience wasn't long. Release form the wing of a B-52, rocket to inner space and land.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet! HOPE ya had a fabulous holiday weekend..I'm still full..lol:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Opus, the blackbird or the X-15 ?

    No matter, I'll do it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woman, Glad you enjoyed. I'm always full of it !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sent 2 e-mails(SRV,X-15)to "here a kid"

    ReplyDelete
  7. They Say. Thank you. Got them. Great ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. P-38 my favorite-my Uncle flew them--
    SR - 71- my other favorite-
    Kelly Johnson is an hero of mine---

    as to 'gun free zones' - notice how they are always the ones hit...
    2nd Amendment- anyone!!!
    Carol-CS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol-CS, and they do it over and over and over.

    ReplyDelete