Sunday, October 11, 2009

The First in At Least One Video From Our Orphan Kitten Fostering Days

Grey Goose came to us with two brothers who became known as Big Bear and Little Bear - both solid black short hair cats with white spots on their lower belly. They were the 2nd set of kittens we were fostering. The first two kttens were born to a feral mother who we took in to socialize as well as provide a place to give birth outside the shelter and she gave birth the 2nd day at the house.

She took on these three new ones as her own, but to relieve the stress on her, we helped by bottle feeding them and helping out with the 'bathroom duties'. Kittens cannot do anything by themselves the first few weeks, and the mom initiates them either defecating or urinating by licking them on their genitals. You can simulate this by taking a warm wet paper towel and rubbing them there. The mom actually consumes the waste or spits it out into the litter box. I was never around when one of the moms actually did it.

Anyway, Grey Goose was the most laid back kitten and cat that we'd ever had at the house. One day, in one of the bedrooms where we took care of these dudes, Goose came in and I gave him a shot at a starting role. After a minute, he totally freaked out and turned into Bruce Lee.


10 comments :

  1. Ahhh, Kid that was such a sweet story. What a darling little face Goosey had! But then.....hee heee.....spaz attack, that's a good one.

    Thanks for entertaining us with your great memories. You both were such sweet people to help the poor homeless kitties and their mom like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goose was something else. We still have Little Bear. Man what a character he is.

    Thanks Bunni. Here's an offbeat story about helping animals. Back in my road warrior days, which weren't that long ago, I was working on a software project for LOF auto glass in Chicago North of Midway Airport. I was sent to do some training at one of their distribution warehouses (I kinda mentioned it in relation to a great corner neighborhood Italian restaurant once that this lady took us to).

    The warehouse was run by a sweet woman named Nancy Bernard. She told me a story of her coming in to the warehouse off hours once on a 'feeling' and she found a pregnant German Shepard on the door step in the middle of winter almost frozen. She brought it into the warehouse and setup a place for her. The dog gave birth soon after and the story had a happy ending with adoptions for all the pups, etc.

    If she hadn't wandered in there, the dog would have frozen by morning.

    I usually don't remember these folks, but Nancy was an unforgettable lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww, that's just the most touching story. I think God was guiding her steps there to find that Doggie. And all the little lives she saved, and the happiness brought to many families with new puppies. My first doggie was a German Shepard, and she was so smart.
    Say hi to Little Bear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kid- I meant, I had a spaz attack when I saw pretty kitty go into claw-shredder mode!!!
    Keep it away!!! I want my puppies back! What did kitty do with my puppies? I can't find them. Guess I'll have to follow these blood trails for a clue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gene, LOL. They only hurt you if you're afraid of them, or you don't give them what they want. Or you look at them wrong. Kidding of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bunni, Agreed.

    Hey Little Bear ! Bunni says HI !

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was funny as hell.

    Those little guys have some wicked moves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Admiral, I've seen it 100 times and I laugh every time.

    And yes they do. The little dude felt like one of those vibrating things that simulates electric shock that people put in their palm to shake hands with ya.

    Which is why I dropped him.

    ReplyDelete